For, now, I'll just post a couple of my notes from the spring practice. Videos will come later if I ever get around to cutting them up.
1. I never ever ever want to see Johnny Sears Jr. as the deep man on the punt return team. He is really fast, but he managed to fumble two punts and a kickoff in just about as many tries.
2. Brandon Harrison looks really good. He was really laying the wood to some guys. If he hits his teammates this hard, I can only wait to see how hard he'll hit opponents. I hope this will be something that everyone on the defense starts to do.
3. LaTerryal Savoy also looks really good. He will probably be our tallest receiver, and he uses his body well. He made a great catch and lunge for the endzone on a pass from Jason Forcier during the scrimmage. It was a touchdown, but the ref didn't call it one. The assistant coaches came over and gave him a (good-natured) hard time about it.
4. Carlos Brown actually might be as fast as they say. He played a little quarterback as well, running the option with Mister Simpson. Don't buy the hype that he scored a legitimate long touchdown run - a couple linebackers let him get through so that fans would have something to cheer about.
5. Zoli Mesko might be my hero. The second biggest crowd reaction of the day came from a punt that he boomed for 60+ yards in the air (no wind). Kid has a huge leg, and I expect him to win 3-4 Heismen.
6. Alijah Bradley has got to be one of the hardest workers on the team. He laid out once for a beautiful reception that had the crowd going crazy. I anticipate he'll be a little more involved in the offense this year.
7. Adrian Arrington looked pretty good. He'll probably play the role of poessession receiver this year, though with a little more speed and a lot more height than Avant. I predict he'll start opposite Manningham.
8. Carson Butler didn't look so great. He dropped a couple easy passes, so he'll have to develop those hands a little bit. He also almost took me out once as he got pushed out of bounds.
9. Garret Rivas did nothing to allay the fears of fans. He missed a chip-shot field goal, which I expect he'll do a lot of this year, unless the offense is actually able to put the ball into the endzone.
10. The starters didn't get a whole lot of reps, but Breaston did manage to drop a deep-ish ball from Henne. Awesome! He needs to be used as a receiver that is found in space, then creates something himself.
11. Mark Bihl's right pant leg was covered in blood. I have no idea why.
12. Brandon Graham (who will arrive in the fall) is nowhere near 270 pounds, fear not.